The Refugee Law Lab is hiring! We currently have one position available:
French-Speaking Osgoode JD RA (Short-term position)
The Refugee Law Lab is looking to hire a French-speaking Osgoode Hall Law School JD student as a research assistant on a short-term basis. The successful candidate will assist the Lab with data-gathering using French-language sources for several ongoing projects, including a new online refugee law reporter, a refugee law legal analytics app, and research on outcomes in refugee adjudication.
The successful candidate can expect to learn about Canada’s refugee determination process and about Federal Court proceedings. The successful candidate will also have opportunities to engage with other students and researchers at the Refugee Law Lab. There is a possibility of continued part-time work during the 2021-22 academic year.
Time: approximately 35 hours per week for 5 weeks, July 26 to Aug 27 (dates flexible)
Pay: $25/hr (inclusive of vacation pay)
Eligibility: Must be a current Osgoode Hall Law School JD student
- Gathering data from online Federal Court dockets (including French-language dockets)
- Reviewing and copy-editing French-language refugee decisions that have undergone optical character recognition
- Preparing legal research memoranda
- Other tasks as required
Mandatory qualities sought:
- French language skills
- Attention to detail
Qualities that are assets but are not required:
- Interest in immigration and refugee law and/or administrative law
- Interest in law and technology
- Lived experience with forced migration
Application Deadline: 19 July 2021
Application Process: Apply here with a CV, an electronic copy of unofficial transcripts, and a brief cover note describing your interest in the position (and describing your French-language skills).